Stansberry Research has been sending me unsolicited emails for over a year despite my repeated requests for them to cease doing so. I contacted them twice earlier in 2015 via email, once in February, and another time in April once I realized they hadn't unsubscribed me. On both occasions, they responded with "For security reasons and to prevent banking errors you must contact us by phone to cancel a paid subscription. "
Nonsense. I don't even have a paid subscription. This is a poorly veiled attempt at forced customer retention. If someone wants to unsubscribe, they need to be unsubscribed. You don't coerce them into calling you or putting any other requirements in the way.
My multiple emails were getting nowhere, so I called them.
After trying them on the phone several times and finally reaching someone during the summer, the customer service representative told me I'd been unsubscribed from both the emails and snail mail they send out. I thought that was the end of it.
It wasn't. I have not been unsubscribed from either. I received another packet in the mail about a month later and still receive their emails regularly.
Moreover, the emails they do send out do not give a clear cut and expedient way to unsubscribe. Some of their emails even flat out ignore this legal requirement. Instead of adopting the usual method of a simple link you can click on and immediately be unsubscribed, they have opted for a "call us and we'll remove you" method popular in 1998.
I got sick of their emails and flagged their emails as spam so they weren't viewable. The only reason I'm writing this review now is because I still receive their junk mail.
This is poor business, and I also believe it is illegal. Every commercial email you send out needs to have a simple method of unsubscription.
One of the provisions of the CANN-SPAM act of 2003 is commercial emails must cease within 10 days of request. I have requested 4 times I be removed over the past year (or more). I still have not been removed.
If I am not removed from Stansberry's mailing lists (both snail and email) within 10 days of a Stansberry customer service representative reading this, I will forward my complaint to the Federal Trade Commission, your state's Attorney General, the Better Business Bureau and any other agencies that will enforce my right not to receive communications from you. I will also leave a highly critical and negative review on as many business networking sites as I can for your business.
Lastly, if this goes ignored, I will escalate into legal action. I WILL take the appropriate legal venues if you do not comply.
I have contacted you yet again by email and referenced this complaint. I am to receive your personalized response to this message. If I do not receive it within 10 business days, I will take the aforementioned actions against you.
Once this has been done, I will update my review accordingly.
More Review Details
- Reason of review:
- Will not remove me from their marketing lists
- Preferred solution:
- Complete removal from marketing lists - mail and snail mail.
- Product or service
- Stansberry Research Subscription
- Review category
- Periodicals & Publishing
You May Also Like
- "The first time they tried to contact me, was last year in 2014. I declined, seeing as they have many bad reviews. But they won't stop trying to contact me!..."
- "This is the worst liberal rag in this country , how do they make any money I don't get it , like the Obama news network, N.B.C the lowest rated..."
- "I ordered 3 copies of my own novel, paying $29.85 for the package. They came today, but the receipt said I had paid $2,985.00 This leaves me not surprised there..."
- "First Lexis Nexis in response to my request sent me approx. 10 pages of literally jibberish. DELIBERATELY BEYOND VAGUE NONSENSICLE (sp) STEAMING LOAD OF BOVINE POO POO! Wrong information all around. ..."
- "Tried with 8 retailers to recharge my sim card, but none of them keep lycamobile services anymore. Half of the retailers listed in their website does not exist. Online..."
- "I lost 75 lbs and it feels like 100 lbs. I couldn't have done it without the Roca Labs regimen.It was so easy to do. Those who say it doesn't..."
- "First the positive (which is why it's got a star at all): The company (when it shows up) is EXTREMELY fast, efficient and hard working. They know their stuff and..."
- "Took my little girl to Claire's today. We walk into the store and a sales person made sure to tell us the entire store was buy 3 get 3 for..."